Search This Blog

Auto Insurance

Need Auto Insurance?

Saturday, November 27, 2010

First Test: 2010 Acura TSX Manual

2010 Acura TSX Manual Front Three Quarters Driver Check Dealer Pricing On a New Acura TSX! Gunning for a Top Spot in the Acura Hall of Fame November 11, 2010 / By Benson Kong | Tweet 2010 Acura TSX Manual Front View Click to view GalleryIt's simple, really -- at least at first. Acura fanatics are certain to start a list of their favorite marque's all-time greats with the now-legendary NSX. In the No. 2 slot would be the dearly departed Integra. The former brand staple remains sought-after in sporty coupe, practical sedan, and especially Type R trim.

After that, it's not so simple. Some may point to the original Legend (a cult classic, particularly as a coupe) or the short-lived RSX. But we'll make the case for the TSX, the reigning entry-level car of the Acura line in its second generation and seventh model year. Though its upscale appeal has increased recently, the TSX stays true to the idolized Honda attributes enthusiasts revere: a rev-happy engine (at least the I-4), low-effort manual transmission, double A-arm suspension, and a taut ride that'll inspire a Joker-like grin. It's those attributes that make the TSX our prohibitive favorite for the No. 3 slot in the Acura family hall of fame.

2010 Acura TSX Manual Front Three Quarters Click to view GalleryUnder the hood, Honda's 2.4-liter K series inline-four is safeguarded with a 7100-rpm redline and smoothly screams its way to a peak of 201 horsepower at (dramatic pause) 7000 rpm. The all-aluminum mill employs dual overhead camshafts and intelligent VTEC, meaning the valvetrain's electronic wizardry is supplemented with the efficiency-minded Variable Timing Control. With the revs on tap and ready to zing, executive editor Ed Loh affirms the overall package "has shades of Miata-fun baked in."

It's a bit short on torque, with just 172 pound-feet (170 pound-feet with the five-speed auto), but with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 all-season performance tires you'll reel off a 0-60 time of 7 seconds flat. Keep the pedal pressed and the 3338-pound small sedan eventually finishes the quarter-mile in 15.4 seconds at 90.3 mph. After all, Acuras are not typically designed to blow the doors off in a straight line. The six-speed manual cuts through the shift gates like butter and with typical Honda precision while clutch engagement is so light that you'd wonder if you're driving something with 100 less horsepower.

Chassis and suspension are, delightfully, vintage Honda. The finely tuned TSX is immensely communicable, courtesy of its hardened steel build, front and rear double A-arm suspension, and dual-mode dampers. A deflector plate stack inside the damper housing alters the internal oil flow rate to automatically adapt the damping rate for both leisurely and spritely driving. In the hands of the willing (or the maniacs), the car is deft at laterally distributing its weight without completely overwhelming the rolling rubber. On the highway, the ride borders on stiff, but will never send the driver or passenger into a numbed physical state. That's reserved for the NSX.

2010 Acura TSX Manual Front Three Quarters Driver 2010 Acura TSX Manual Side View Passenger 2010 Acura TSX Manual Rear Three Quarters Driver 2010 Acura TSX 2010 Acura TSX
MSRP: $29,310 - $34,850 More Details & Photos Body Style: SedanSum Up: V-6 BETTER BUY THAN TL. Motor Trend Rating: 3 Stars Research Categories Overview Pricing Photos Specs Reviews Warranty Enter zip & find out: Related Content Quick Drive: Acura TSXCan the Frugal Four-Cylinder Step Out of the V-6 Car's Shado...First Drive: 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD ManualSticking to It: Manual Trans, Chassis Tweaks Turn Up the Enj... Additional Photos >>>> Img with no ALT tagEven in the code behind the image ALT tag is not being set-->2010 Acura TSX Manual Front View 2010 Acura TSX Manual Front Three Quarters Driver 2010 Acura TSX Manual Front Three Quarters 2010 Acura TSX Manual Side View Passenger View Full Photo Gallery Sponsored Links Community Comments uragan (11/11/10 01:54 PM)
This one is very close to what a modern sporty car should be. Just take 5-10 feet off the braking distance, 1-2 better MPG's and a pretty face.

See, Chrysler? It isn't too difficult to build a smallish sport sedan. MSIDUDE (11/11/10 01:56 PM)
The previous generation was better. arcustelum (11/11/10 02:09 PM)
i would like to see a type r with the 3.7 v6 making 7200rpm 310hp and ShAWD mjomaha (11/11/10 02:33 PM)
Like my Kizashi SLS way better then the TSX. It handles better and feels just as quick oh and looks way better and cost $4000 less. I think the Kizashi is a big win! valdaviper1 (11/11/10 02:36 PM)
this looks so bland..like a current gen(non 2011) kia optima..I wish they had better designers.. dpc166 (11/11/10 02:49 PM)
really? they just got around to testing a 2010? aren't the 2011's out already? it sucks Acura made the motors eat 91 octane because I would have bought one, but they turned my money away. I'm not spending 3.20 a gallon to get 23mpg. I'll buy a BMW if I wanted premium fuel. countrycoach (11/11/10 02:58 PM)
So it's ok for this car to not be fast in a straight line, but not ok for the GS? burtburt (11/11/10 03:11 PM)
I like this more than any other Honda/Acura on the market, and I hope they sell the wagon with the 6 spd. here in America. Also, countrycoach, while I do agree that they have been giving the Regal/GS a hard time, thats a forced induction car that marketed hard as a sports car. KTfast (11/11/10 03:49 PM)
I like it! It's the best looking of the current crop of Acuras, but I'm still not too sure if it looks better then the first gen though. himoses (11/11/10 03:57 PM)
I also like the looks, even if it is a little bland. It's like the Accord of yesteryear before it got all fat and bloated with random sheet metal creases and crapulent back ends. I wonder if the seats in this are better than the Accord. Is it just a slightly better performing Accord or what? This review kind of left me wanting more. uragan (11/11/10 01:54 PM)
This one is very close to what a modern sporty car should be. Just take 5-10 feet off the braking distance, 1-2 better MPG's and a pretty face.

See, Chrysler? It isn't too difficult to build a smallish sport sedan. MSIDUDE (11/11/10 01:56 PM)
The previous generation was better. arcustelum (11/11/10 02:09 PM)
i would like to see a type r with the 3.7 v6 making 7200rpm 310hp and ShAWD mjomaha (11/11/10 02:33 PM)
Like my Kizashi SLS way better then the TSX. It handles better and feels just as quick oh and looks way better and cost $4000 less. I think the Kizashi is a big win! valdaviper1 (11/11/10 02:36 PM)
this looks so bland..like a current gen(non 2011) kia optima..I wish they had better designers.. dpc166 (11/11/10 02:49 PM)
really? they just got around to testing a 2010? aren't the 2011's out already? it sucks Acura made the motors eat 91 octane because I would have bought one, but they turned my money away. I'm not spending 3.20 a gallon to get 23mpg. I'll buy a BMW if I wanted premium fuel. countrycoach (11/11/10 02:58 PM)
So it's ok for this car to not be fast in a straight line, but not ok for the GS? burtburt (11/11/10 03:11 PM)
I like this more than any other Honda/Acura on the market, and I hope they sell the wagon with the 6 spd. here in America. Also, countrycoach, while I do agree that they have been giving the Regal/GS a hard time, thats a forced induction car that marketed hard as a sports car. KTfast (11/11/10 03:49 PM)
I like it! It's the best looking of the current crop of Acuras, but I'm still not too sure if it looks better then the first gen though. himoses (11/11/10 03:57 PM)
I also like the looks, even if it is a little bland. It's like the Accord of yesteryear before it got all fat and bloated with random sheet metal creases and crapulent back ends. I wonder if the seats in this are better than the Accord. Is it just a slightly better performing Accord or what? This review kind of left me wanting more. LexuslvrGmlvr (11/11/10 04:06 PM)
I'm pretty sure they made this test just to taunt the Buick Regal in some way form or fashion. cp_09malibuV6 (11/11/10 04:07 PM)
This and the Accord Coupe are Honda's two best models. They still look great and offer excellent driving dynamics. I hope their next iterations don't screw with this formula. mcd0234 (11/11/10 04:10 PM)
Timely review for me at least. I am seriously thinking about getting one of these. I actually don't mind the grill on this model - that doesn't mean I love it though. Most importantly, at around $33k I get a very well equipped car that is fun to drive as far as price compatible sedans go and is available with a manual. Of course, I narrowed down my choices to cars that are available with a manual so it severely limited my choices, regardless I am leaning this way when I buy my new daily driver in Jan (also looking at 1 series though too as I have configured it to about $35k, yet the lease price is about $40 less per month even with it being $2k more than this TSX). LexuslvrGmlvr (11/11/10 04:14 PM)
@countrycoach well to be sort of fair this is simply the base model and not the top of the line full out sports sedan that the GS is gunning for. chrisfam (11/11/10 04:41 PM)
Yep, they just should have done a Buick Regal vs Acura TSX article. I'm sure there was a reason to review this car so close to the Regal review. I wouldn't buy either, too slow. unoo (11/11/10 05:15 PM)
@ arcustelum

the point of the TSX was to have a fun, sporty, sedan with a 4 cylinder engine. I think the first gen TSX was a great car. A turbo would have been a better fit then the v6. If Hyundai can make a 274hp 2.0L turbo then Acura should have no problem making a 300hp 2.4L turbo. SH-AWD would be a nice feature to reduct torque steer with the added power but it would add weight to an already chubby car. Viccus (11/11/10 05:26 PM)
Is this an advertisement? What a dumb article about an ugly car with absolutely nothing new or revolutionary!
Waste of my time! rkhamseh (11/11/10 05:34 PM)
@countrycoach: To be fair, the GS also has a turbocharged motor putting down 270+ with a ton of torque. And to follow up with LexuslvrGmlvr said, this Acura is not gunning for a top spot. subie_rulzz (11/11/10 06:11 PM)
maxima does everything better, I mean honestly ..... v8vader (11/11/10 06:26 PM)
skid pad seems low for a sporting car. a turbo and awd for the wagon, please- then i'll take another look. lasvegascolonel (11/11/10 06:52 PM)
Like others have said, it is bland styling and not overly powerful, but U.S. manufacturers could learn a thing or two and offer American sedans with manuals...there are a few, buy very few. I like Nissan products and bought an Infiniti 7 speed auto for my wife, but I drove the 6 speed manual coupe and it was great. I guess any vehicle with a stick is going to be more fun than the same vehicle with an automatic. monsterized (11/11/10 07:41 PM)
I just worried about how next-gen TSX would be. What a relief!! I've just focused in a MDX-based small sedan, but I was wrong. TSX looks excellent. I want to drive it for felling high, later I´ll picture installing some König wheels and apply a special pearlescent color.. WOO HOO!! MrIncognito (11/11/10 08:59 PM)
Regarding the GS, the Acura's power band is not optimized for drag racing, so 0-60 times won't tell the whole story (7000 RPM peak HP). A revvy engine with a great transmission is a very fun combination. Still the Acura beats the standard CXL to 60 by half a second depite being down all the HP, so it's not likely that the heavier Buick will have too much of an advantage in actual performance.

Even if the performance is similar, there's a big difference in the fun to drive factor, which is why the Acura gets more energetic reviews.

I would love to see a type-S, but I would prefer a turbo 4 - get the power to ~230 HP and torque up to 200 lb-ft and it should feel a lot quicker without causing too many torque steer problems for the FWD. 737Driver (11/11/10 09:06 PM)
In terms of looks alone...

MSIDUDE is correct...the last generation TSX was much nicer than this one (classy and refined...heck, they still look good!). You've managed to make this current TSX "Camry-like". Somehow, you found a way to make this car bland. Absolutely amazing.

Note to Acura: Your vehicles were once all great looking...now they're just plain ugly and/or bland. You've lost your edge...really too bad... LT1Boy (11/12/10 12:00 AM)
Needs more power. acuras4ever (11/12/10 01:58 AM)
honda civic
Auto show season is back, and Honda is hitting the road. First stop, L.A.(11/19/10), then Detroit (1/10/11), then NYC (4/22/11). Be sure to tune in, things could get interesting.
that's honda civic's status on facebook now! ,,, could that mean that honda will launch the new civic in LA motor show???! i hope so! syj (11/12/10 05:38 AM)
This speed demon crushes the Regal- Acura knows how to make a REAL sports sedan.

Since when is 130ft a good stopping distance for a 3300lb sports sedan? Wow. kego53 (11/12/10 06:01 AM)
I like this car. Instead of the v6 they should put a performance version of their turbo charged 4 cylinder in it and offer it as an R series in both sedan and wagon iterations.
Having had a german vehicle, which was very expensive to maintain after 70k miles I welcome the Honda/Acura reliability factor in this quotient gladly. Even so, 7 sec. to 60 and a 15 sec. quarter mile is not shabby. Its more than quick enough for the majority of American drivers who in fact still haven't found the turn signal lever in their cars and who insist on "farding" while driving and at stop lights totally ignoring the change to green and who insist on blocking the left "passing" lane on our interstates. Why should such self centered, egotistical bums be allowed to drive anything other than a Yugo? gxpbecker (11/12/10 06:29 AM)
I cant say I like what Acura did with the new Noses of thier lineup. Even if this car had the 300+hp V6 the bland look of it will just suck all the excitment out. I love the previous gen looks, but i just cant give my heart to the new ones, esp with the competition. skyguy (11/12/10 06:41 AM)
Nice job, Honda. Too bad it requires premium fuel and gets mediocre mileage. zr2s10 (11/12/10 08:14 AM)
If I were to get one of these (which I can't) I would take that beaver tooth off the front, paint it to match the rest of the grill and put it back on. That would make a world of difference. And does this offer a v6? If not I would never buy one, it's against my right foot religion. I'm already doing penance for the only 4 cylinder I've owned.... Which I got rid of after 3 months BTW. Toooooooooo Sloooooooowwwwwwwwwwww. 2 more mpg was not worth the lack of low end grunt. lions208487 (11/12/10 09:58 AM)
This car certainly looks better in person than in any photo, and I would love to see Honda have SHaWD as an option on their V6 model.

My fav Acura's are the NSX (or course), CL Type R, and Integra Type R. Why Acura strayed so far away from those designes is beyond me, but I wish they would add some smoother yet edgy design back into their upcomming line up. Would love to see the CL make a comeback. true_enthusiast (11/12/10 12:51 PM)
Honda needs to just stop making cars. They suck at it.

I remember the good old days... *sigh* 92Vectra1.6i (11/12/10 02:32 PM)
The ONLY current Acura that I have any desire for. Thank God it hasn't been ruined although I'm sure a butt ugly replacement is on a Honda drawing board !! I hope its' debut is a long way off !! hilltoons (11/12/10 06:38 PM)
Still a nice car, but the original generation (2004-08) was much better. Lighter, better looking inside and out and no steering numbness.

There's a reason the first generation TSX won 3 Car And Driver "10 Best Cars in the World" Awards. It was great. Buy one Certified Pre-Owned! auto-enthu (11/13/10 12:17 AM)
Nice car.
I'd like to see SHAWD available on TSX, though. jdlinder1 (11/13/10 09:18 AM)
country coach -- this N/A engine is .5 secs faster to 60 than the turbo CXL! there is something wrong with that. stop being such a fanboy Joe_Skeptical (11/13/10 10:11 AM)
Why test the 2010 model just as the 2011 models are about to be released? Syncho (11/13/10 08:17 PM)
HONDA JUST DOES NOT GET IT. They make durable, high performing cars that are efficient--but they are to put it kindly--not very attractive.

They need to find a designer with TALENT that can design a car that can looks as well as it runs.

A good designer could put Honda at the top of the heep. They would have affordable, durable cars that LOOD GOOD. Right now they have cars that are affordable and durable--but not attractive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts